How to pack for a sailing holiday?
How to pack for a sailing holiday will be the next question on your list, after you booked the boat! Can be a sailing boat, catamaran or motorboat, any one of those is a good choice.
Here we go! Unforgettable moments, clear/turquoise waters for swimming, relaxation, reading, music, nice company and something that is so important, good Mediterranean food and wines.
Preparing for the boat trip:
• First things first! Make sure you don’t have sea sickness (it doesn’t matter how much you would love to sail if your body is just not into it).
• Where would you like to go and what kind of boat do you prefer;
• Start making preparations at least 6 months in advance. (Yacht charter companies usually make really early bookings for the boats);
• Think of a nice crew (plan the holiday with friends that you know you have things in common and you will not step into each other’s toes at some point. You’ll spend 7 days on a limited space with them);
• Be ready for the time of your life!
The next step would be now to admit that we often pack to many things for a holiday, or even a city break. So, why would it be different now, when we go on a boat? Well, we people, somehow need to learn how beautiful we can live with fewer things, implicitly smaller & easier bags to carry.
Short story: I remember Ana & me preparing for this girl’s boat trip. An evening prior, we double checked the luggage and we agreed to live some of the stuff home. But that’s not it! In the morning, when the car was in front waiting for driving us to the marina, we just felt something wasn’t right, too many things to carry? Well, yes! So when we stepped out of the door, we finally had a proper bag! The truth is, when you go on a boat you don’t need so many clothes, so here you go!
What to pack?
- You are going to use a nice bag, not a trolley (it makes you pack light and can be stored easier on the boat);
- Take all the bathing suits you have in the house and put them in the bag;
- to 5 t-shirts and 3 short pants;
- A nice dress that doesn’t need ironing, for the girl & a shirt for the boy;
- Hat and scarf for sun protection and beach towel;
- Long pants and thin waterproof jacket (you will need them in case of a rainy day);
- Devices for listening to music, headphones and books that you like;
- Photo camera;
- Lots of sunscreen (with at least 30spf);
- One pair of flips flops and one pair of comfortable shoes.
Following this steps could make your preparation easier and shorten the time for packing. We’ll be back with some more ideas for when the whole family goes on a boat. 🙂